1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light molasses
1/2 cup boiling water
1. Grease and flour a 9 inch by 1 1/2 inch round baking pan; set aside.
2. Stir together flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, and 1/2 tsp salt.
3. In mixing bowl beat shortening with electric mixer about 30 seconds.
4. Then add brown sugar and beat until fluffy.
5. Add egg and molasses to the electric mixer and beat for1 minute.
6. Add dry ingredients and boiling water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
7.Turn into prepared pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or till done.
8. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack.
9. Remove from pan and serve warm